Part 7 of my Crash Course in Atmospheric Physics. In this video we look at the physics of geoengineering, how to combat the effects of global warming by either removing carbon from the atmosphere or making the Earth more reflective.
Angus’ twitter: https://twitter.com/angusferraro
If you would like to support this series you can do so on Konoz: https://konoz.io/courses/56269e8b78c66568408297b7 🙂
Fede’s video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBju-x1VLk
Previous video: https://youtu.be/JVdPfsPlt0k
In this series we have covered:
– Introduction to the atmosphere
– Radiation concepts
– Air parcels
– Stability in the atmosphere
– Thermal concepts and the first law of thermodynamics
– Absorption and emission spectra
– The stratospheric polar vortex
– Global warming
Series playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiZiIJMDh4ykRUFqr7RmTJHHyIxoW-DTL
– A good textbook for this whole series is “Atmospheric Science – An introductory survey” by Wallace and Hobbs.
– One example of CO2 removal: http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/531346/can-sucking-co2-out-of-the-atmosphere-really-work/
– A scientific overview of SRM: http://ac.els-cdn.com/S1364032113008460/1-s2.0-S1364032113008460-main.pdf?_tid=20cca3bc-8bb8-11e5-8e96-00000aab0f6c&acdnat=1447606044_3f54f5d1891457001b60530069fb15b5
– COP21: http://www.cop21paris.org/about/cop21
———- II ———-
I am Simon, a third year PhD candidate at the University of Exeter. I upload videos on bits of science which are relevant to what I do, and sometimes just because they’re really cool.
Vlogs from Oxford students – http://www.youtube.com/oxvlog
My twitter – http://www.twitter.com/simonoxfphys
My facebook – http://www.facebook.com/youtubesimon